Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

The long long bus ride from Guayaquil, Ecuador to Lima, Peru with an 8 year old child

This site is obsolete
Please VIST OUR NEW WEB-SITE: http://exploramumourworldtrip.com

We have met a lovely Chinese guy who lives in Belgium.
We have bought our tickets, and await our bus.
This one has meals served.
We meet a nice Malaysian guy who lives in New Zealand.
It is great as they joke they are Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee - our body guards.
This is my first border crossing on a bus.
So I am pleased the guys have company.
In fact they talk like long lost brothers!

As we pass through towns, I love the change from city life to town life.
The  "mototaxis", "taxi cholo" or "cholotaxi" are everywhere.

 The Peruvian coast looks fabulous.
We pass some awesome looking hotels.
I put that on my "must visit list" for later.

The sunset is over the rice fields and the scenery changes as we drive along.
Almost to quickly it is dark.

As night falls, people nod off, including our new friends.
My son takes over the seat.
I find I am on the floor with a sleeping bag.
But I can stretch out across the floor and aisle and I get a few hours sleep OK.
It is hard - as I have to make sure my passport and possessions are safe.
It is not comfortable sleeping, but it is about 2 - 3 hours sleep all night.
 

Next morning we are woken on the bus by a guy who decides to share his music at 5 a.m.
So I sit and watch as my son sleeps and the little towns pass us.

Corn dries, grapes grow and many other crops I fail to identify.

 It seems to get drier and drier, and poorer and poorer.

Soon there is just hundreds of miles of deserts.
The odd house appears.
It feels like hell.
It seems to go on forever.
A one lane road with only buses and semi-trailers slowly crawl along.

We finally get to see the ocean.
Then we see some box houses.
They have no power to them.
There is no sign of life.
Yet there seems to be millions over the miles.
I ponder on how blessed I am not to have been born into such poverty.
Rarely do you see a plant or a vehicle by a home. 

There seemed to be millions of boxes in this town.
It just seems so sad.
It makes us talk about our lives.
My son sees poverty from a distance.

We finally reach Lima.
Our 26 hour journey becomes a 28 hour journey.
They served breakfast at 9 a.m., but now it is about 3 pm and we are starving.
We are super tired.
We find our hotel and we share a cab with the boys.
It is an amazing place - in fact I will blog on it separately.
The boys go off to explore.
We go and eat.
We are in bed asleep by 7 pm.
We have successfully finished one long bus trip.
So glad that is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.