Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Guayaquil, Ecuador - not the most exciting city in the world

This site is obsolete
Please VIST OUR NEW WEB-SITE: http://exploramumourworldtrip.com

We are tired.
The night was hot and stuffy.
I didn't sleep well.
My son always sleeps well though - well so it seems.
Breakfast is included and served on the balcony.

We have met this lovely guy who is travelling to Peru tomorrow.
So we head off to buy the bus tickets together and share a cab.
I try to get $$ out of the ATM and have no joy.
It won't recognise an Australian card.
He is kind enough to loan me a few $$ so we can secure the tickets.
We then head back to farewell his friends at the hostel.
I gather another card to try in ATMs.
I also check my Internet banking.
All my money is still there so it is not like I have had a card skimmed again.
I am still waiting on the funds to be returned from the card skimming.
The Australian bank says another month.
I am trying to trust it will all work out and not be stressed.

We got to a huge shopping centre.
I try several banks ATMs with no joy.
Now I am starting to panic.
He has already bought the tour bus tickets for us and I am to return the $$ to him when I get a withdrawal from the ATM successfully.

We board the bus n the north of the city.
It is only $6 a ticket. And $5 for a child.

There are only 2 others on the bus.
We head around Guayaquil. (pronounced Why-a-kill).
This artwork is a story depicting battles.

We head to the city which finally starts to get a bit interesting. 

 My son enjoys the fact we have someone new around.
He jokes and pulls faces, and I can see he is enjoying himself.
Previously we had whinges of "I don't want to go".
He has just officially started his school holidays.
This is the first break he has had in 8 months.
So I am hoping a 2 week break will recharge his batteries.
Especially as we are n the move a lot in the next weeks.

We are constantly told to "duck".
The branches and foliage attack us constantly as we drive around the city.

This moor tower came all the way from England.
I read they moved it and added floors.
It is along the river area.
The river bank is actually a sea.
The tide goes in and out and changes the flow direction.

There are a few old buildings.
Not many - it has not survived fire and battles well.
Most is gone.
Overall it is a new and boring city.

There is a square with 4 buildings with a centre fountain.
If we were not on a tour bus this might be nice to walk through.

Along the river is a display of Presidents.

The hill is covered with box coloured houses.
There is a lighthouse at the top with a stair walk we are told has a night market.
This area is guarded and OK to walk around.

There are new buildings being built.
There is a sloth or monkey giant statue.
The tour ends and we head back to the giant northern shopping centre to get supplies for the bus trip.
We are glad we have met a nice friend.
Tomorrow will be a long day - 26 - 28 hour trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment