Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2012

New York, New York - first few days

This site is obsolete
Please VIST OUR NEW WEB-SITE: http://exploramumourworldtrip.com

We arrive in New York and had a wonderful place in Brooklyn through Airbnb.
Anyone who wants a fabulous large sunny room in this 100 year old home, 
please let me know and I can put you onto the lovely couple who rent it out.
It was reasonable and included breakfast and we ended up staying 10 days.

Day one we headed out and discovered the Barclay Centre in Brooklyn.
We went shopping - yeah - shopping in New York - my dream.
I bought some great warm boots and a lovely jacket and sweater/jumper.
There are some fabulous shops - but you do need to hunt.
Oh, and we ended up discovering life was a bit like Fiji.
The African-Americans run illegal vans down the main roads.
You hail them and pay $2 a person.  
We used these both ways, and on several days.

Next day we rode the subway into Manhattan.
My son loved reading the map and the stops and working out where we were to go.
This become a daily obsession.

We paid (too much) for a Harbour cruise.
The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are closed due to Storm Sandy.
But it was so cold I barely coped with hanging out for 90 minutes on the cruise.

We got to see New Jersey and learnt the lay of the land.

Coming off we enjoyed Battery Park.
This is where you are jumped on by all the street sellers.
Here we are buying me a handbag - my son picked me one for Christmas.
Genuine designer - of course - not :)

We then headed to see the Twin Tower memorial but after a 2 hour wait we left.
You need to purchase tickets from another place.
As this all occurred before my son was born, he couldn't grasp the depth
of the situation, so I decided to explain it, and move on.
So we headed for Time Squire.
This was just a heap of fun.

ToysRus is massive. 3 floors of fun.
We loved the Ferris Wheel inside, Jurassic Park moving dinosaur and
the Lego displays of Statue of Liberty etc.

You can see us here on the screen.
There is lots of interactive displays here.

We then headed on to the M and M store.
I lost my camera here.
Headed back a while later and a lovely honest person had handed it in.
I was a bit of a mess after that event.
The M and M shop is packed with so many treasures.
There are about 50 tubes of M and M's to choose from - what fun!

Tired as we were, we pushed on to see the Christmas Lights.
Radio City was first.

We loved the decorations in the street.
By this stage we were walking zombies.
I am surprised his seven year old legs were holding out.

But we had more to see and at this stage we hadn't planned so long in New York.

My dream!
After watching Home Alone 2, I HAD to take my son to the Rockefeller Centre.
The Tree was just incredible.
So as we end our first night trip, I am pretty thrilled.
We have made it to New York.
A big part of my dream for this trip has become a reality.
If you have a dream - hold onto it.
Believe in it.
And don't give up.
The joy you feel is just incredible when it becomes a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment